The Human Services Leadership and Management Certificate
The Human Services Leadership and Management Certificate at the University of Maryland School of Social Work develops the leadership and management capacity of human service professionals, alumni, and students through competency-based education, networking, facilitated peer coaching, and research on management and leadership in the human services.
1. Competency-based assessment and learning
2. Flexible, customizable, and blended program planning and learning
3. Affordability ($2500) and provision of continuing education units (CEUs)
4. Embedded and real-time learning
5. Mentoring and coaching as critical tools for leadership development
To successfully enroll and complete the requirement of the Certificate Program, one would need to:
1. Complete the Leadership Assessment Tool
The self-assessment is designed to help participants determine which leadership skills they may need to improve.
Print the Transcript Form
Completing the transcript form will help you keep track of the classes you have attended.
3. Once you have completed all of the components of the program, email a copy of your transcript to CPE at email@example.com.
Core Training Courses:
Understanding your Leadership Style and Building Your Potential to Lead (2-days)
Understanding and Applying Coaching to Leadership Situations (1-day)
Supervisors as Leaders (2-day)
10 1-day modules (participants choose modules based upon their individual leadership assessment)
Program Planning from a Social Justice Perspective
Actionable and Empowerment Evaluation
Performance Management and Measurement
Effective Leadership and Organizational Development Practices in Social Work and Human Services
Managing up Effectively
Consensus and Coalition Building for Effective Health Advocacy
Board Development and Governance
Successful EBP installation in Organizational Settings
Giving and Receiving Feedback
Effective Strategies for Handling Diversity and Conflict in the Workplace
New Conflict Management Skills for Leaders
Strategic Talent Management
Nonprofit Boot Camp
- Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
- Resource Development and Marketing
- Managing a Multi-generational Workforce
- Volunteer Recruitment and Management
- Social Media, Technology, and Networking
Facilitated Peer Coaching Circles (10 peer coaching sessions facilitated by trained peer coaching facilitators. Certificate participants must join a peer-coaching circle-management experience is not required).
1-1 Executive coaching services are also available to program participants for additional fees.
Those interested in joining a peer coaching circle should contact the coaches directly to identify the next available circle to join:
Dr. Clara Lee, C.B. Lee Consulting Group, LLC: cbleeconsultinggroup.com
Dr. Venessa Perry, Management.Expertise.Solutions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Certificate Total Hours:
Core Training Content: 30 hours
Ten 1-day modules: 65 hours
10 Coaching Sessions: 20 hours
Total Hours: 115 hours
Total Cost: $2500 ($2000 module content, $500 coaching)