University of Maryland School of Social Work Strategic Plan
Strategic Plan 2006-2010 [downloadable pdf]
The University of Maryland School of Social Work anticipates and meets the challenges of societal issues by promoting social and economic justice and by advancing social welfare and social work.
The mission of the University of Maryland School of Social Work is to develop leaders and scholars to advance the well-being of populations and communities at risk. The School serves society through the development of knowledge in education, research, scholarship, service innovation, and advocacy.
The faculty, students, and staff of the University of Maryland School of Social Work adopt this statement of values in support of the School’s mission. We value:
• Excellence in education, research, scholarship, and service.
• Academic freedom through the pursuit and dissemination of knowledge.
• Global economic and social justice for all individuals with particular emphasis on vulnerable, excluded, and marginalized populations.
• Ethical and socially responsible conduct.
• Strengths of individuals, families, and communities.
• Inclusiveness, respect and diversity.
- Create a stimulating educational environment that is responsive to a changing student population and practice context.
- Increase support for research, grants, and contracts and communicate research findings to internal and external communities.
- Foster a spirit of community within the School.
- Gain a competitive edge in the educational marketplace with respect to attracting and retaining a diverse group of outstanding faculty, staff and students.
- Utilizing the Comprehensive Development Plan, broaden the funding base of the School.
- Develop mechanisms through which the School systematically influences public policy.
- Provide leadership and service through University civic engagement to strengthen organizations, communities and social systems in the city, state and region.