It is anticipated that many Training Institutes participants will choose to bring their children and youth with them to Washington, D.C. In order to ensure their safety, appropriate activities and supervision should be arranged by parents for all children and adolescents accompanying Training Institutes participants. Children and adolescents should not be unsupervised or without activities to keep them involved, and they remain the ultimate responsibility of their parents and caregivers.
Please read the tips provided below carefully to make The Training Institutes and your visit to Washington, D.C. a positive experience for you and your children.
- Supervision: Parents must assume responsibility for ensuring that their children and youth are properly supervised and safe. No child or youth should be left unsupervised for any reason, even for a short length of time.
- Overflow Hotels: In the event that there are over flow hotels, parents staying at overflow hotels have a greater responsibility. Children and youth should not be left unsupervised at overflow hotels for any reason, even for a short length of time.
- In Case Of Emergency: Parents should have an action plan in place in case an emergency should arise. Take the time to sit with your children and youth to make sure that they know the appropriate contact phone numbers, safe places, and procedures to follow. Write out important information for your children and youth (such as your cell phone number, the name and phone number of the hotel, and the name of the conference) and ensure that they have this with them. Quiz your children and youth to ensure that they understand completely.
- Hotel Orientation: Please give your children a tour of the hotel so that they know how to find the Solutions Station in the Registration Area, and instruct them to go there if they need assistance.
- Family Buddy System: Parents can arrange buddy systems with other parents who are participating in the conference for child care support. Each parent may take a turn supervising each other’s children and youth, while other parents attend a conference function.
- Administering Medication: Due to insurance liability issues, no staff or faculty member at The Training Institutes may administer medication. The responsible family member or caregiver must administer all medication.
- Wellness Plan: Complete a wellness plan for your children prior to your arrival. A wellness team will be available at The Training Institutes to provide assistance in emergency situations and can be accessed through the Solutions Station.
- Youth Leadership Track: Consider registering your youth for the RockStar Youth Leadership Track, a leadership training program for youth ages 14 and up who are ready and motivated for this type of experience. It will involve participation in a carefully planned, intensive program and is open only to youth who are registered and paid Training Institutes participants, who are faculty members for The Training Institutes, or who have received scholarships to attend this exciting program. If your child is in the RockStar Youth Leadership Track, be sure to provide the coordinators with any important information about your child, including urgent medication issues, dietary or other allergies, or other special needs. Click here for additional information regarding the RockStar Youth Leadership Track.