MSW Program Notes
All incoming students must complete the prerequisite A Brief History of Oppression and Resistance. This self-paced online course takes approximately 15 hours, is accessed through Blackboard, and should be completed before the first day of classes.
- The 60-credit MSW degree must be earned within four years of initial registration. Advanced Standing students must earn the MSW within two years of initial registration, provided the degree is awarded within five years from the baccalaureate graduation.
- To comply with the University’s academic residency requirement, students must complete at least two consecutive semesters (i.e., fall-spring or spring-fall) and be registered for at least 9 credits during each of those semesters.
- Students may register for a maximum of 16 credits (each fall or spring semester).
- Students must register for a minimum of 6 credits (each fall or spring semester).
- Foundation courses must be completed before students may enter advanced field practicum.
- Students must have a 3.0 GPA in foundation courses before entering advanced field practicum.
- A specialization in a field of practice, as well as a concentration, is required in the Advanced Curriculum.
- A methods course must be taken concurrently with field practicum. Foundation methods courses are SOWK 630 and 631 to accompany SOWK 635, and 632 to accompany SOWK 636. Advanced methods courses begin with SWCL or SWOA. The advanced methods courses must be appropriate for the primary concentration (Clinical or Macro).
- No course may be taken without having received credit for the prerequisite.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 is required for graduation and a “P” (Pass) for all field courses.
- All students must allocate time to complete field practicum requirements.