The Staff Council will provide a forum where staff members can address and discuss issues. The Council advocates on the behalf of the staff to the Dean and administration to promote positive change, share concerns and increase communication and transparency throughout the School of Social Work.
Shared governance is a priority at the University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB). We believe in a shared responsibility among staff, faculty, administration, and students to promote a collaborative process whereby UMB and the faculty, staff, and students have regular dialogue on important issues of concern to the parties. The common shared objective is to enhance the goals of the institution.
The Staff Council membership shall include the following:
Voting members. There must be a minimum of 10 active members on the Staff Council. Active Members can be staff members from all units within the UMSSW and shall:
1) Attend at least three-quarters of Staff Council meetings per fiscal year.
2) Agree to a one-year commitment.
3) Vote on all recommendations brought forth by Staff Council.
Members-at-large include staff members from all units within the UMSSW and may:
1) Participate in an advisory capacity without vote.
2) Volunteer for Staff Council events or contribute to community outreach projects.
3) Be involved as a member of the Staff Council Action Committee.
The Executive Board members are chosen through a nomination and election process. Any UMSSW Staff member meeting the criteria is eligible for nomination.
The Executive Board is made up of the following:
Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary and Treasurer.
To be eligible, a staff member must:
1)Be a full time employee.
2)Have completed at least six months of employment in the School of Social work.
3)Must be in good standings.
4)Communicate with his/her supervisor before confirming nomination.