New Students Entering Field
Field Education is a significant portion of your social work education. It is the place where you will apply the knowledge and skills you learn in the classroom to actual people and to real situations, under the supervision of a seasoned social worker. It is a place where you learn to make a real, lasting contribution to the lives of others.
Students entering field must submit a field placement application within 2 weeks of paying their $300 confirmation deposit.
- If you do not have a UM ID, go to the MyUMB Portal to set up your account.
- We cannot guarantee placement for any application received after July 1. Students who submit an application after July 1 may be required to become part-time if a field placement is not available.
*NOTE* It may take 24 hours for your UM ID to be processed in the system before it will allow you to complete a field application.
- If you are awaiting approval for financial aid, you must still complete your application by the due date! Late applicants are not guaranteed placement and may need to change their enrollment status to part-time.
- To complete the Field Application, go to the Current Student Page and use your UM ID and password to log into your Electronic Field Notebook (EFN.) Bookmark this page - you will be returning throughout the year to complete all of your Field assignments.
We wish you every success as you begin your professional training.
Please view our updated Frequently Asked Questions Page for more information.
Please contact us with any questions you may have. You may call or email the Office of Field Education to schedule an appointment with a Field Coordinator to discuss your field opportunities at (410) 706-7187 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Congratulations on being accepted the to the University of Maryland School of Social Work. As a spring admit you are required to complete a Field application for the fall 2020-2021 academic year. Applications for the 2020-2021 academic year will be available the first week of December. Students enrolled in foundation field will be required to complete Field Seminar for the entire academic year. The deadline to submit applications will be February 1st for spring admits and current part-time foundation students only.
Please note that if you are entering a foundation field placement in the fall you will be required to participate in field seminar as a part of your field requirement.
If you are new to field at the University of Maryland School of Social Work (Foundation, Advanced Standing*, Transfer Student, Part-Time Student now full time entering Field) you are required to attend a Field Orientation prior to the beginning of the fall semester. The Orientation will provide you with important information to prepare you for the field practicum. This date will also count as your first day of field education. Students whose status is "Advanced" and who have already completed the first year field practicum at the University of Maryland, School of Social Work are not required to attend Field Orientation.
If you are a Foundation student, please hold the following dates on your calendar:
* Registration will start at 8:30am and orientation is from 9:00am – 5pm for each of the orientation dates below.
- August 18th - Foundation Orientation
- August 20th - Foundation Orientation
- August 21st - Foundation Orientation
You will be assigned to one of these three days for a mandatory orientation approximately 2 weeks prior to August 18th. We recommend you hold orientation week open and do not schedule vacation during that time.
Advanced Standing students are required to attend orientation on August 17th, 2019.
- Registration will start at 12:30pm and orientation is from 1:00pm – 5:00pm.
Foundation students are required to participate in monthly field seminars while enrolled in Field Education. Seminar is an opportunity for students to engage with each other in small groups to discuss their field experiences. The small groups are intentionally designed to include conversations about difference, anti-oppression, privilege and cultural humility. During orientation students will meet their Faculty Liaison, who will also be the seminar instructor. Faculty Liaisons will communicate with their students regarding the seminar schedule for the semester. Please note that seminar will be conducted using Webex. For further information about Webex please click the following links:
We strongly suggest that you familarize yourself with Webex to limit technical difficulties.