Substance Use Disorder Assessment and Treatment Certificate Program
Application Deadline: July 26, 2019
The evidence-based certificate program is designed for clinicians, across a range of treatment settings, who provide services to individuals with SUDs. The program is well-suited for clinicians seeking advanced competencies in evidence-based approaches for engaging and retaining clients in SUD treatment and for enhancing SUD treatment outcomes.
Program participants will engage in didactic and experiential learning in the following content areas:
• Screening and assessment of substance misuse and SUDs
• The neurobehavioral effects of substance use
• Major drug classifications, routes of drug administration and drug intoxication effects
• Evidence-supported interventions (including pharmacological treatment, Motivational Interviewing (MI), cognitive-behavioral interventions, and motivational incentives) for treating SUDs
• Opioid overdose prevention and treatment including Narcan training
• Health and treatment disparities among specific populations with SUDs, and ethical considerations in SUD treatment delivery.
This in-person training program includes three credit hours in ethical issues related to SUD service delivery. The program will include a variety of instructional formats to enhance participant learning and skill application.
Program participants will learn:
1) The current “state of knowledge” related to substance use disorders (SUDs) and emerging directions in science and treatment;
2) How to identify evidence-supported screening and assessment tools and how to apply essential skills for conducting screening and assessment;
3) Select major drug classifications, routes of drug administration, and intoxication effects;
4) The principles and techniques of example evidence-supported interventions for treating SUDs;
5) Recognition and treatment of opioid overdose;
6) The treatment barriers and needs of pregnant and parenting women; and
7) Frequently encountered ethical issues related to the delivery of SUD-related service