International Applicants

Language Requirements 

The PhD Program in Social Work welcomes International Applicants.  Our program requires a Master of Social Work degree for admission consideration.  The program also maintains a strict language requirement for non-native speakers of English. All applicants to the doctoral program whose native language and/or language of the home is not English are required to submit results from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or from the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or the Duolingo English Test. This guideline applies to international students/non-native speakers of English who have completed a Master of Social Work or similar degree from a US or UK college or university. 

The minimum acceptable TOEFL score for admission is 80 for the internet-based test (IBT). IELTS test takers must score no less than Band 7 (total). Duolingo English test takers must score no less than 115. Some graduate programs have higher minimum score requirements. 

TOEFL information and registration is available at: 

Test of English as a Foreign Language - Educational Testing Service 
P.O. Box 899 
Princeton, NJ 08540 

The UMB Graduate School’s TOEFL institution code number is 5848; department codes are published by TOEFL 

IELTS test center information is available at 

IELTS International 
100 E. Corson St., Suite 200 
Pasadena, CA 91103 

IELTS test-takers must have their scores sent via postal mail to the Graduate School: 

ATTN: Admissions 
University of Maryland, Baltimore 
Graduate School 
620 West Lexington Street 
Baltimore, Maryland 21201-1508 

IELTS test-takers may also send their TRF number to the Graduate School at so that the Graduate School may verify the applicant’s scores electronically.   

The Graduate school accepts official scores from the Duolingo English Test, which can be taken online and on-demand.  

Applicants are encouraged to verify the identification of the correct campus - the University of Maryland, Baltimore - (UMB) upon selection of score routing. 


Immigration Requirements 

International students who receive an offer of admission must obtain the immigration form required for the appropriate visa. Accordingly, each international student must certify that he or she has sufficient funds (exclusive of travel expenses) for university tuition, fees, books, supplies, and living expenses. The total amount required for educational and living expenses (based on current tuition and fees) is available from the UMB International Services Office. 

Please refer to the Graduate school website for information relevant to International Applicants: 

Interested in our PhD Program?