Credit for Experience

The Council on Social Work Education does not allow accredited MSW programs to provide credit for work experience. However, experience does make for a stronger applicant in the admissions process and a more successful student

Minimum and Maximum Course Load

Students may not register for fewer than 6 credits per semester. The maximum credit load for Fall and Spring semesters is 16 credits. Registering for more than 16 credits requires approval from the Office of Records and Registration by submitting the Request for an Academic Overload Form. A student’s cumulative GPA must be 3.80 or above as one consideration for approval of an academic overload.

Residency Requirement

Students must register for a minimum of 9 credits per semester for at least two consecutive semesters to satisfy the academic residency requirement

Special Student Status

Individuals who have completed a MSW degree may register for a course with a Special Student Status.  Course enrollment is on a space available basis.  The application fee and per credit hour tuition and fee charges apply to Special Student Status. Students who have been dismissed from the MSW program are not eligible for Special Student Status.  

To request Special Student Status, email the SSW Office of Admissions at for an abbreviated application; include an official transcript, and a statement as to the reason for enrollment.

Audit Courses

A course may be audited on a space-available basis and priority is given to students taking the course for credit. The course will appear on the student’s transcript as Audit (AU) but will not count toward the credit requirement for degree completion.

A student taking a credit course may not change their status to audit once the semester has started. Charges for audit courses are the same as credit courses. Students interested in auditing a course should complete the Request for an Academic Audit Course form and submit it to the SSW Office of Records and Registration prior to the start of the semester.

Ready to be a Changemaker?