Tuesday, December 13, 2016
2:00-3:00 p.m. (EST)
Dr. Christine Callahan gave a talk on "Clients Struggling with Mental Health/Trauma Histories" at the CFPB Financial Coaching Conference in Louisville, KY, on November 14-15. This talk provided an overview of many of the diagnoses, issues, and stressors with which clients who have mental health and/or trauma histories are coping, and it also covered what financial coaches and others working within the financial arena need to know about intervention and referral strategies, and how providers in mental health and finance can work together across discipline to best assist clients and families. Dr. Callahan also joined with another colleague to give a talk on "Self-Care When Managing a Caseload" at the same conference.
Dr. Christine Callahan, research faculty at the FSWI, presented a talk on May 6, 2016, at the annual conference of the Association of Oncology Social Work. The title of the talk was "The Burden on Social Workers When Patients and Families Experience Financial Stress" and it stemmed from results from a project with the SSW's Dr. John Cagle (principal investigator) on financial burden at the end of life (funded by a UMB Pilot and Exploratory Interdisciplinary Research [IDR grant]). Dr. Callahan is study coordinator on this research project. View the slides.
Drs. James Kunz (McDaniel College) and Christine Callahan (UMB) presented an oral paper on "Psychosocial Well-Being and Financial Capability" at the BPD Annual Conference, held March 30-April 3, 2016, in Dallas, Texas. View the abstract: Psychosocial Well-Being and Financial Capability
Drs. Carolyn Tice (UMBC) and Christine Callahan and Sally Hageman, MSW, presented their paper "Financial Capability from Students' Perspectives" at the BPD Annual Conference, held March 30-April 3, 2016, in Dallas, Texas. View the abstract: Financial Capability from Students' Perspectives
Financial Capability and Asset Building for All: A Grand and Achievable Challenge for Social Work, SSWR 2016 - Washington DC. Presenters included:
- Margaret S. Sherraden, PhD, MA, Founders Professor, University of Missouri - St. Louis, and Research Professor, Washington University in St. Louis, Mailing address: Bellerive 201, School of Social Work, University of Missouri-St. Louis.
- Jin Huang, PhD, MSW, Assistant Professor, Saint Louis University. Mailing address: 309 Tegeler Hall, School of Social Work, College of Public Health and Social Justice, Saint Louis University.
- Julie Birkenmaier, PhD, MSW, Professor, Saint Louis University. Mailing address: 330 Tegeler Hall, School of Social Work, College of Public Health and Social Justice, Saint Louis University.
- David Patterson Silver Wolf, PhD, MSSW, Assistant Professor, Washington University in St. Louis.
- Christine Callahan, PhD, MSW, Research Assistant Professor, University of Maryland School of Social Work.
Other Presentations at SSWR:
- UMB's Christine Callahan, Jodi Frey, and Sally Hageman; oral paper: "Financial Coaching with Head Start Parents"
- Christine Callahan (UMB), Carolyn Tice (UMBC), and Sally Hageman (UMB); ePoster: "Financial Capability: Financial Literacy and Self-Efficacy "
- Jim Kunz (McDaniel College) and Christine Callahan (UMB); ePoster: "Psychosocial Well-Being and Financial Capability"
- Special Interest Group (SIG): "Financial Capability and Asset Building," co-led by Christine Callahan (UMB) and Zibei Chen, MSW, Louisiana State University.
Drs. Jodi Jacobson Frey and Christine Callahan of the Financial Social Work Initiative co-authored an essay titled, "Social Workers are Partners in Professional Financial Practice" with Drs. Julie Birkenmaier and Margaret Sherraden. The essay was published in The Professionalizing Field of Financial Counseling and Coaching Journal, which was edited by Jonathan Mintz, President and CEO of the Cities for Financial Empowerment Fund, Inc. [PDF of the article]
Margaret S. Sherraden, Jodi Jacobson Frey, and Julie Birkenmaier wrote a chapter entitled "Financial Social Work" in the Handbook of Consumer Finance Research, edited by Jing Xiao. Check out the link for more information: https://www.springer.com/us/book/9781441926043
Previous Publications and Presentations [by year]
The University of Maryland, Baltimore is the founding campus of the University System of Maryland.
620 W. Lexington St., Baltimore, MD 21201 | 410-706-3100
© 2017-2018 University of Maryland, Baltimore. All rights reserved.