2016 Publications and Presentations
WEBINAR: Psychological Well-being & Financial Capability: Research Connections and Practice Implications
Tuesday, December 13, 2016
2:00-3:00 p.m. (EST)
Does psychological well-being affect how financially capable and confident people feel and how they are able to manage their finances--and vice versa? In other words, if you feel better emotionally, will you do better with your finances, and if you do better with your finances, will you feel better emotionally? What happens when either or both suffers, and how do helping professionals assess and assist? Using data from nationally representative surveys within the social sciences helps social workers and other helping professionals understand the psychological and financial realities that individuals and families in the U.S. face.
Dr. Christine Callahan gave a talk on "Clients Struggling with Mental Health/Trauma Histories" at the CFPB Financial Coaching Conference in Louisville, KY, on November 14-15. This talk provided an overview of many of the diagnoses, issues, and stressors with which clients who have mental health and/or trauma histories are coping, and it also covered what financial coaches and others working within the financial arena need to know about intervention and referral strategies, and how providers in mental health and finance can work together across discipline to best assist clients and families. Dr. Callahan also joined with another colleague to give a talk on "Self-Care When Managing a Caseload" at the same conference.
Dr. Christine Callahan, research faculty at the FSWI, presented a talk on May 6, 2016, at the annual conference of the Association of Oncology Social Work. The title of the talk was "The Burden on Social Workers When Patients and Families Experience Financial Stress" and it stemmed from results from a project with the SSW's Dr. John Cagle (principal investigator) on financial burden at the end of life (funded by a UMB Pilot and Exploratory Interdisciplinary Research [IDR grant]). Dr. Callahan is study coordinator on this research project. View the abstract.
Drs. James Kunz (McDaniel College) and Christine Callahan (UMB) presented an oral paper on "Psychosocial Well-Being and Financial Capability" at the BPD Annual Conference, held March 30-April 3, 2016, in Dallas, Texas. View the abstract: Psychosocial Well-Being and Financial Capability
Drs. Carolyn Tice (UMBC) and Christine Callahan and Sally Hageman, MSW, presented their paper "Financial Capability from Students' Perspectives" at the BPD Annual Conference, held March 30-April 3, 2016, in Dallas, Texas. View the abstract: Financial Capability from Students' Perspectives
Financial Capability and Asset Building for All: A Grand and Achievable Challenge for Social Work, SSWR 2016 - Washington DC. Panel presentation: Saturday, January 16, 8:00-9:30 am. ePoster presentation: Saturday, January 16, 2:00-3:30 pm. [More Details Here] Presenters included:
- Margaret S. Sherraden, PhD, MA, Founders Professor, University of Missouri - St. Louis, and Research Professor, Washington University in St. Louis, Mailing address: Bellerive 201, School of Social Work, University of Missouri-St. Louis.
- Jin Huang, PhD, MSW, Assistant Professor, Saint Louis University. Mailing address: 309 Tegeler Hall, School of Social Work, College of Public Health and Social Justice, Saint Louis University.
- Julie Birkenmaier, PhD, MSW, Professor, Saint Louis University. Mailing address: 330 Tegeler Hall, School of Social Work, College of Public Health and Social Justice, Saint Louis University.
- David Patterson Silver Wolf, PhD, MSSW, Assistant Professor, Washington University in St. Louis.
- Christine Callahan, PhD, MSW, Research Assistant Professor, University of Maryland School of Social Work.
Other Presentations at SSWR:
- UMB's Christine Callahan, Jodi Frey, and Sally Hageman; oral paper: "Financial Coaching with Head Start Parents"
- Christine Callahan (UMB), Carolyn Tice (UMBC), and Sally Hageman (UMB); ePoster: "Financial Capability: Financial Literacy and Self-Efficacy "
- Jim Kunz (McDaniel College) and Christine Callahan (UMB); ePoster: "Psychosocial Well-Being and Financial Capability"
- Special Interest Group (SIG): Financial Capability and Asset Building," co-led by Christine Callahan (UMB) and Zibei Chen, MSW, Louisiana State University, Friday, January 15, 2016, 12:30-1:30 p.m., Meeting Room Level, Meeting Room 12, (Renaissance Washington, DC Downtown Hotel
Drs. Jodi Jacobson Frey and Christine Callahan of the Financial Social Work Initiative co-authored an essay titled, "Social Workers are Partners in Professional Financial Practice" with Drs. Julie Birkenmaier and Margaret Sherraden. The essay was published in The Professionalizing Field of Financial Counseling and Coaching Journal, which was edited by Jonathan Mintz, President and CEO of the Cities for Financial Empowerment Fund, Inc. [PDF of the article]
Previous Publications and Presentations [by year]